It’s finally arrived – that dreaded time when I turn a year older.
I know, I know, I’m not that old. But the truth is, the minute that I wasn’t 21 any more, I was super-depressed. And the further away I get from that shiny number, the sadder I am about being old. Ah, well. I’ll get over it eventually…but probably not until I’m, like, really old. Like 30 or something.
But I’m working on being happy about my age, so I’m going to send some positive energy out there, especially after my ridiculous decision making yesterday.
In honor of my 25th birthday yesterday, I’ve decided to share with you, my lovely blogging community, 25 random – and often strange – facts about me. For those who know me well, most of this will not come as a surprise to you. For my handful of random followers – sorry I’m a crazy.
And, in honor of the last week of school, I’m going to start with my students’ favorite three random facts about me, judging from what they bring up constantly.
1. I’m mortally afraid of ducks.
2. I’ve broken my nose no fewer than 8 times.
3. I hate ice cream, with the exception of the cinnamon, green tea, and lemon poppyseed muffin varieties.
4. I named one of my dogs Holly Golightly after…well…if you don’t know, we can’t be friends.
5. My dad, sister, and I could hold an entire conversation made up of only movie quotes without trying very hard.
6. I have four tattoos. (Okay, so everyone knew that one.)
7. My most treasured possession is a (now) 25-year-old stuffed dog/bunny named Oatmeal.
8. I still have fantasies of being a published writer that I think can come true.
9. I love dancing a lot more now than I ever did as a child – probably has something to do with self-confidence.
10. I don’t get cable and therefore don’t use my TV to watch anything but Netflix and DVDs.
11. Birthdays are actually important to me, but they never seem to go as planned, for some reason.
12. I’m terribly indecisive, especially when it comes to everyday decisions like what to have for dinner or what color grading pen to use.
13. Sometimes when I’m shopping alone in Dallas, just for fun, I’ll let out a soft little “M-I-Z” to test the waters…I get a “Z-O-U” back about 30% of the time.
14. A letter can turn a horrible week around, in my opinion.
15. I’m allergic to pot.
16. I burn everything I bake…so my signature dessert is cake balls, because then I can cut out the burned parts.
17. The entire left side of my body is ever so slightly larger than the right side…which part of the reason why I’m so clumsy.
18. I actually have eight blogs, four active…not counting the ones I ghost write for, of course.
19. I visit the libraries in every city that I travel to, if at all possible.
20. When I’m in a really good mood, I blast gangsta rap and drive with my windows down.
21. I clutter-up hotel rooms as soon as I get in. Otherwise, I can’t sleep in them.
22. My favorite gift to receive in the whole world is flowers. This makes me feel like less of a feminist some days…
23. I own over 25 purple pens, most of which are different brands and styles. It’s a bit of an obsession.
24. My handwriting is half-print, half-cursive. I don’t understand why people think it’s pretty, but whatever.
25. I cry when I send my kiddos off at the end of every year, and I think that if I ever stop crying, that will be the year that I’ll know it’s time to stop teaching.
Feel free to shoot me a comment or email with condolences for my ever-fading youth.